Monday 3 May 2010

STAR BLUES on 2nd May 2010 at 22:00

When it came out, it seemed like I was the only one who could hear how great it was: certainly the music papers and radio thought it was a waste of plastic not worthy of the band. I got teased mercilessly for being in love with "Exile on Main Street", strange how lauded it is now by those same nay-sayers. The album is due for remaster and expansion treatment in a fortnight, so last night's STAR BLUES went back to the original with some blues artist covers of the songs. Of the latter Deborah Coleman nailed "Happy" and Otis Taylor reworked "Sweet Black Angel" for the early 21st century. The iconic "Tumblin' Dice" and Slim Harpo's "Shake Your Hips" held up Mick'n'Keef's end from those St Tropez sessions in 1970-1.

We also boldly claimed there'd be no rock'n'roll without Arthur Crudup and his 1944 "Cool Disposition" was on the playlist; Crudup inspired Elvis (hence our idea) but Sam Phillips thought Howlin Wolf was a bigger talent and there was "Tell Me What I've Done Wrong|" to prove it. Both Walter Brown and Phillip Walker had trouble with a Lying Woman (probably not the same lady but you never know).

Speaking of trouble, I thought I may get into more trouble with Amy but I took a deep breath and went for it anyway and I think I got away with it this week. If you're there for the walk on Saturday 8th at 7:30 to raise money for the hospice, you'd best not mention my name just in case. Mum's the word. Mighty Sam McClain got his music into Ally MacBeal and onto our show last night with "New Man In Town" and Dionne Farris was on hand for the gospel offering: "I wish I knew How It was to be Free". James Godwin was suitably florid on piano for an authoritative vocal by Dave Thomas on Otis Spann's "Blues Never Die" to fill the piano blues spot.

At the Record Store Day I bought the Malaco boxset, I prize I've long coveted and put in McKinley Mitchell's "Trouble Blues" to show his Bobby Bland side. My Wild Side is out on Bank Holiday 31st May and the tee-shirt will be black. Customary white attire next Sunday for more STAR BLUES, I hope you can come along. Until then take care of yourselves and take care of those that take of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment