Monday 25 May 2009

STAR BLUES on 24th May 2009 at 22:00

I celebrated the bank holiday by taking the show to my floating ornamental duck palace on my moat: the settings are modest and a little cramped since no expense has been spent but we still managed a full rundown of the 2009 Blues Music Awards. I did something from each of the winners, all were already known to regular listeners - proving how STAR BLUES reflects the contemporary blues scene as well as stuff from the classic era.

Buddy Guy won in two categories, his "Skin Deep" album is the most complete project of his career, similarly honoured was Janiva Magness who had a style makeover about a year ago; she then joined Alligator, got some great songs and a tight little band, now her long overdue success has arrived. Nice to see recognition of Kenny Neal's songwriting talent in "Song of the Year" category and the posthumous award (in a brand new category) given to Jeff Healey's final recordings on "Mess Of Blues".

The show wasn't entirely devoted to the awards, I made mention of two women with health worries: Candye Kane marked her year since successful surgery for pancreatic cancer with her best album "Superhero" and Natalie Cole brought us a robust version of the jazz-blues standard "Since I fell For You" and we wish her well after her kidney transplant on Thursday just gone.

That Roscoe Gordon platter did turn up and the boss at home was right as it was still in my computer - I do refute the "senior" description of my mental acuity however, the portrait I have in the attic guarantees my youth (or it does according to the guy I paid nine shillings to).

The Staple Singers did the gospel offering for us and the piano blues spot had the BMA winner Marcia Ball helping out on the Soul Blues album from Irma Thomas called "Simply Grand". There's been a lot of internet scuttle-butt on how the awards only go to the usual suspects but the argument is complete nonsense: only two winners held on to their crowns and all the winners WERE the best in the respective categories: B B King, Buddy, Irma, Janiva, Jeff and the others did work at the top of their games, not just in my opinion but that of the critics and listeners through the year.

I had time to slip in a little gem from Shakey Jake with a fine guitar solo by his nephew Magic Sam - at the request of one of the loyal online listeners. You can do like wise or find us on FM at the home of the 9-5 no repeat workday and God willing I'll be back with more of the same only different at ten next Sunday, until then take care of yourselves and take care of those that take of you

Gary Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment